Seder Opening number

Seder Opening number
Matty, Nancy and Jake

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Blog Installment April 13

Hello Dear Reader! Here are some fun facts from February 28 and April 4

Our totals to As of 2/28/11

MILES DRIVEN:           20,310
MILES FLOWN:            2,021
STATES VISITED:   33
PERFORMANCES:     126 (including 2 previews)
CITIES VISITED:         74 (including 11 stopover cities)

As you can see, the totals are really starting to add up.  So, let the adventure continue...........

Before we left Tempe, April 4:

MILES DRIVEN: 24,082
MILES FLOWN: 3,249
STATES VISITED: 38
PERFORMANCES: 162
CITIES VISITED:  85 (including 13 stopovers. That means we performed in 72 as of
April 1)
Then there were 2 in Santa Barbara, 1 in Bakersfield, 4 in Modesto bringing the total up to 169 performances.
For the last three days we have been traveling on the bus: 500 miles the first day, 488 the second and 380 today…..driving through 4 more states---
Tonight will be performance #170!!

 As you can see from the above facts, we are presently on day 3 of a three day bus ride to get us from Modesto, CA, where we had 4 performances in three days, to Greeley, CO, where we will perform tonight!! Monday we had an 8 hour bus trip, Tuesday a 7 hour trip and today will be a 5 hour trip. Several of the cast members took this time to stay in one place and relax, flying to Denver today and getting to the theater before the show. I, however, am sitting on the bus with twenty other cast and orchestra members. Before we break in May for our layoff we will travel to Pueblo, CO; Albuquerque, NM; Logan, UT; Reno, NV; Medford, OR; Tacoma, WA; and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada!!! Not bad for two and a half weeks, huh???

I am so sorry that I have not been diligent about keeping my blog current. Sit back, relax and I will explain what has been happening.

The last time we were together, it was January and we had just performed a wonderful show in West Point, NY. As I wrote at the time, we were heading out to many places where I had “friendly laughs” in the audience. When we arrived in Easton for our Wednesday night show, it was canceled as a blizzard was moving in. So my lovely supporters came Thursday night instead. Thank you to all my wonderful friends and in-laws who braved the snow and cold weather to share an evening with me. It was great to see you all and know that you were in the audience!! The last Saturday in January saw us in Waterbury, CT where I not only had friends in the audience, but also my niece and nephew who are currently Freshmen at the University of Hartford. I was so thrilled that they could be at the show!! February 1 we were in Roanoke,VA. Not only was a friend of mine there who had gone to High School with me, but also one of my Sunday School Teachers was there, talk about support!!! I knew they were in the audience and even though I had a fever and chills, the show went on with me in it!!! It was great to perform there and such fun to see old friends!

Our schedule in January and February was quite intense as I have mentioned several times. We didn’t have any time off, except for bus travel until February 4. By this time, however, I was starting to become ill. The flu that I had in Roanoke was just the start. The next day I went to an Urgent Care Facility and saw a doctor who was very concerned that I was extremely dehydrated. He started me on meds and lots of fluids. However, the reason for my dehydration, long hours on the bus, heating systems in a different hotel every night that were very drying, new theaters every night with different ventilation systems: all of this contributed to wearing me down more. By February 15, I was very sick and went to another doctor who told me I should not perform that night and put me on other meds. We were now in Cincinnati for a two week sit-down. I had been looking forward to this for a month as Peter was to join me here for the second week, plus we would be in one theater and one hotel for two weeks, heaven!! I did call out for one show, but then went back to work. The good news was that by Friday, I was starting to hydrate, the bad news---I developed a bad case of bronchitis. By Saturday night’s performance I could no longer sing. Of course, I found this devastating, but went back to the doctor who recommended that I take a medical disability leave for three weeks, get myself well and then get back on the tour! So I did!! Everyone in the Cast and the Administration was wonderful to me and I couldn’t wait to get healthy again and back to work!

I rejoined the tour in San Jose, California where I had lots of “Friendly Laughs” in the audience. We were also there a week, then a week in Thousand Oaks, then a week in Tempe, AZ. I must say Tempe, AZ has been the best week of the tour as far as performances have gone. The audience wanted us there! A FIDDLER Production had not been there in 15 years and everyone was absolutely thrilled that the show was performing in their city for a week. Every show was sold out. We later learned that there is a large Russian Jewish Population in the Tempe area as well as lots of Chicago Jews who travel to the Phoenix area for the winter. The administration at the Gammage Theater in Tempe is also quite terrific. They had organized several events for us including a luncheon with the Theater Donors. Five of us from the cast as well as our conductor went to this event. What a lovely day. The host and hostess were so lovely and all of the people there were so genuinely happy to meet us and tell us how much they enjoyed the show or were looking forward to being at a performance. It makes such a difference when there are now faces to an audience. There is a closer connection. Also, it doesn’t hurt when the curtain goes up, the fiddler starts fiddling from the roof, and the audience goes crazy applauding!!!!  We had performed 150 shows and that night in Tempe was the first time that had happened. What a boost for all of us! Also that week my friend, Craig Bohmler, who himself is a wonderful composer of classical, orchestral and musical theatre genres was in the audience. He was blown away by our cast and our production, so much so that in his interview the next day for the local PBS station, he bragged about us on air!! I am so proud to be a part of this show! This cast and orchestra and crew are so extraordinary.

It is hard to believe that only two and a half weeks are left before our Spring Break. We will be home the entire month of May. Well we are coming into Greeley, Colorado for our night’s show. More later…..





No comments:

Post a Comment